This site will work and look better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.

Easy access versions


(B.Post) Rosemary Gill murder: further updates

Thursday 25 July 2013

Further Update 26th July
By Geoff Bennett
A woman was allegedly battered to death by her husband in a row over their marriage, a court heard. It is claimed Nirmal Gill attacked 48-year-old Rosemary Gill with a heavy blunt object in the bedroom of their marital home in Treefield Place, St Werburgh's. Nirmal Gill, also 48, is charged with murdering his wife last Saturday.

He appeared for a preliminary hearing at Bristol Crown Court yesterday, during which no plea was entered but a timetable was set, with a plea hearing due to take place in October and a provisional trial date in January. No bail application was made and he was remanded in custody. Gill, wearing a maroon T-shirt, did not speak in the 11-minute hearing other than to confirm his identity. Members of his family sat in the back row of the public gallery, while members of Mrs Gill's family sat in the front row. Ramin Pakrooh, defending, said a post mortem examination on Mrs Gill's body could take some time and a second may be carried out. He said there would also be reports from a forensic toxicologist.

Update 25th July The family of Rosemary Gill have paid tribute to the 'doting mother' as her husband appeared in court charged with her murder. Nirmar Gill, 48, of Treefield Place, St Werburgh's, is charged with the murder of Mrs Gill on July 20.

It is understood that Gill and his wife were separated and that the alleged incident took place at their marital home, where she was living.

Dressed in a dark blue T shirt and jeans, Gill spoke only to confirm his name, age and address during the 90-second hearing at Bristol Magistrates' Court yesterday.

Gill, who remained unmoved during the hearing, was not asked whether he wished to enter a plea. Two women sat clutching each other at the back of the court room while the hearing took place. Another man was also in court to hear the case and left on completion.

May Li, prosecuting, told magistrates that the case had to be committed to the Crown Court and asked that Gill was remanded in custody. Paul Stevens, defending, made no observations. Gill was remanded in custody and will appear at Bristol Crown Court on July 25 for a preliminary hearing. Magistrates told Gill: 'We are sending this to the Crown Court. There is no application for bail and you are remanded in custody.'

Shortly after the hearing, Mrs Gill's family released a short, poignant statement through the police, describing Mrs Gill, who was in her 40s, as the 'the soul of any party'. The tribute said: 'Rose was a doting mother, a caring daughter and sister, also a loving aunt and great aunt. She was fun loving, full of life and the soul of any party. She will be deeply missed by all who knew her.'

Police officers were called to Treefield Place, off James Street, in a quiet area opposite St Werburgh's Primary School, last Saturday. A police cordon was placed around the entrance while officers searched bins and gardens around Treefield Place. The cordon remained in place through much of Sunday as officers returned to conduct door-to-door inquiries. A major-incident mobile laboratory was also at the scene, with investigators in white boiler suits carrying out finger-tip searches.

Treefield Place is part of an estate sandwiched between quiet terraced houses in St Werburgh's Park and Mina Road. Residents have previously told the Bristol Post of their shock at the incident on their doorsteps in a quiet neighbourhood.


Submit your own news story


April 2018

April 2018 continued

Meditation Foundations Course — 28 April 2018

A friendly local meditation group will be starting a four week mini-course entitled 'Meditation Fou ...   more

Submit your own news story

Top | Back